A climate controlled storage unit use a superior quality HVAC system for ventilation, heat and air condition, customizable thermostats heavy-duty insulation and, dehumidifiers to manage the temperature and humidity inside the unit.
You can store anything in a climate controlled unit, it’s a matter of what needs to be stored in a climate controlled storage unit to keep it from being ruined.
The following list of items you would want/need to store and at what temperature and humidity level.
- Electronics – Computers, television sets, stereo systems etc. should be stored on a shelf not on the ground the temperature should be between 50 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with a humidity of less than 60%. If stored improperly your electronics can grow mold and corrode.
- Fine Art – While not everyone owns fine art, family portraits are just as precious to most people. The temperature should be between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, with a humidity of less than 50%. Fine art (paintings, pictures) can expand or shrink if the temperature is too high and mold can grow on the artwork if the humidity is high.
- Books – As well as comic books, magazines, or any type of collector item should be stored at 35- 75 degrees Fahrenheit, with a humidity of less than 35% or lower. The pages can yellow and become weak and tear easily if stored improperly. Books should also be stored in a container that does not allow the sunlight in.
- DVDs/CDs/Video Games – All need a temperature of 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 45-50%. If these items are not stored properly they can easily become warped or even crack. Much like books, they should be stored in a container that prevents sunlight from hitting them.
- Fabric – Clothing, curtains, fabric-covered furniture and toys, decorative pillows etc. need a temperature of 35-75 degrees Fahrenheit with 55% humidity. If stored improperly mildew and mold can grow on these items.
If you're storing your belongings for an extended period and the items require different temperature and humidity levels it is best to have the temperature and humidity set in the middle or close to it to ensure your belongings remain safe while in storage. Looking for safe climate controlled storage units or need moving trucks? Contact the team at Premier Self Storage today.